Fife really does have it all!
Key Reasons to Invest in Fife
With Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen all within easy reach, companies located in Fife benefit from ready access to customers, suppliers, collaborators and a globally competitive talent pool.
Fife's digital and logistical connectivity - via road, sea and air - is also excellent. Stunning coastlines, easy commutes, good public transport, top-class schools and great value residential properties combine make Fife an attractive place to settle for employees and business owners alike.
Fife is within an hour’s drive for one million workers and has a higher percentage of people educated to NVQ4 level or above than anywhere else in the UK. Existing business clusters mean our indigenous workforce has a strong profile of skills and expertise in areas including Offshore Oil and Gas, Marine Renewable Energy, light and heavy engineering, electronics, tourism and financial and customer services.
Support for Investment
Discretionary Tier 2a Regional Selective Assistance grants of up to 35% are available to companies creating jobs in some areas of Fife - the only region within the Edinburgh City Region to benefit from this level of support.
The Invest in Fife team is on hand to support you and has a proven track record of helping businesses realise their projects.
Education and Talent
Fife is home to the University of St. Andrews and a further 8 universities lie within an hour’s drive. Businesses in Fife have ready access to graduate talent across all disciplines and ample opportunities for R&D collaboration with Scotland's top academic institutions.
Locally, Fife Regional College delivers over 1000 courses, from introductory programmes to post-graduate studies, and is Scotland's largest provider of engineering courses.
Joined-up Workforce Development
Industry, education and Fife Council work closely together to ensure our workforce can gain and maintain the skills and knowledge our employers need:
- The Whitlock Energy Collaboration Centre developed the UK's first Wind Turbine Technician Modern Apprenticeship
- The Fife Youth Job Contract is investing £5 million in apprenticeships from 2013-16
- Opportunities Fife and engineering employers have established the Fife Engineering Academy and a rolling apprenticeship programme.
Land and Property
Fife has land and properties suited to all types of operations, from start-ups to major expansions and relocations.
Available properties include fully serviced office and industrial units and development land with outline planning permission for a variety of commercial uses.
Setup and Operating Costs
Overheads in Fife are among the most competitive in Scotland and commercial rents, property sale values and business rates are lower than in other, nearby Central Belt locations.
Well-developed supply chains for many types of manufacturing and excellent communications by road, sea and air further help keep logistics costs to a minimum.
Green Business Operations
Fife's modern office and industrial units all have excellent energy efficiency profiles, while ongoing investment in renewable energy mean businesses here can benefit from becoming part of Scotland's growing low-carbon economy.
Cool ambient temperatures and resilient connectivity also make Fife the natural choice for low-carbon data centres - a potential that's already attracted several data-intensive organisations.
Fife's key business sectors
- Offshore Oil & Gas
- Marine Renewable Energy
- Light and heavy engineering
- Marine services
- Financial services contact centres - over 19,000 jobs
- Low carbon data centres
- Tourism - over 13,000 jobs
- MCCORMACK INNOVATION ANNOUNCES ANTI-CORONAVIRUS PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- FBM UPDATE, ISSUE 4
- A Fife-based technical ceramics firm has rapidly produced key components to be used in the fight against Covid-19.
- Today @call_veri celebrates the 1st anniversary of their Kirkcaldy office. The company has gone from 40 employees w… twitter.com/i/web/status… … 1 day ago
- @McormackInfo, the Kirkcaldy-based, award-winning innovator, which has successfully developed a suite of dissolving… twitter.com/i/web/status… … 1 day ago in reply to McormackInfo
- Fife paper bag maker sees sales growth… thecourier.co.uk/fp/busi… via @thecourieruk 2 days ago